Roasted Potatoes and Carrots are so easy to make and a really simple side dish! Fresh herbs and vegan garlic butter flavor each bite, making this a delicious go-to for weeknight dinners or special occasions.
Keep this Roasted Potatoes and Carrots recipe in your back pocket! A roasted vegetable medley always makes for a simple and delicious side dish and is nutritious too. All you need are potatoes, carrots, and a handful of herbs and seasonings.
Season the chopped vegetables with fresh rosemary and Italian seasonings, toss them in the oven, and you’re done! This low-maintenance side dish bakes in about 1 hour so you can focus on preparing an impressive meal, like Vegan Meatloaf, Brussels Sprouts Salad, and Hearty Vegetable Stew. Once the veggies are ready, pour a little vegan garlic butter over top and dig in!
You’ll need to keep this recipe handy because it:
- Takes almost no time to prepare.
- Goes well with everything!
- Is the perfect side dish on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, or for simple weeknight dinners or meal prep.
- Is so flexible! Mix up the seasonings or add as many vegetables as you like.
- Takes seconds to clean up.
Ingredients you need
- Potatoes - Any kind of medium-sized potato you like! I usually use yellow potatoes, Yukon Gold etc,..
- Carrots - Cut them into chunks so they roast evenly with the potatoes. Use only orange carrots or a medley of rainbow carrots when you’re feeling fancy or bagged pre peeled baby carrots.
- Herbs and seasonings - Roasting vegetables with fresh rosemary and Italian seasonings ensures each bite is delicious and comforting.
- Garlic butter - The finishing touch! Melted vegan butter mixed with fresh garlic cloves is poured over the roasted vegetables to make every bite just that much more delectable.
How to make roasted potatoes and carrots
I can’t stress how easy and flexible this side dish is! You can add as many other vegetables as you like or mix up the seasonings for more flavor. It all comes together on one baking sheet so you don’t have to stress about cleanup afterward.
Toss the veggies and seasonings:
- Toss the veggies and seasonings: Add the chopped potatoes and carrots to a large bowl with the olive oil, rosemary, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast the vegetables: Spread the dressed carrots and potatoes onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake. Stir the veggies halfway through the baking time.
- Make the garlic butter: Stir the minced garlic and butter in a bowl and heat in microwave..
- Serve: Transfer the roasted vegetables to a serving dish, pour the garlic butter over top, then serve and enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below
Tips for success
- The potatoes generally don't take longer to roast than the carrots. To make sure everything cooks evenly and is ready at the same time, cut the potatoes into larger pieces and the carrots into 1-2 inch chunks.
- Don't crowd the veggies or potatoes on the baking sheet. This will cause them to steam and won’t turn out as crispy.
- Mix up the herbs as you like! Instead of rosemary or Italian seasonings, use fresh or dried thyme, oregano, parsley, basil, onion powder, or lemon juice.
- Sauté the minced garlic and butter in a skillet over medium heat for about 30 seconds to bring out the savoury flavours instead fo microwave
- To keep this side dish light and healthy, omit the garlic butter and garnish the roasted veggies with lemon juice or fresh parsley.
Frequently asked questions
Almost anything! This garlic butter-dressed side dish would be delicious next to vegan chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, the Thanksgiving vegan turkey, cabbage rolls, shepherd’s pie, and so much more.
I recommend it! Peeling the potato skin will result in a crispier roasted potato.
Nope! The potatoes will still turn out tender and crisp even without soaking them in cold water first.
More hearty vegetables, like broccoli, onions, sweet potatoes, corn, beets, or mushrooms. Cooking times may vary.
If you have leftovers or you’re preparing the roasted vegetables for meal prep, toss the cooled potatoes and carrots into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Looking for more easy vegan side dishes?
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print