Vegan Corned Beef! My vegetarian alternative for classic corned beef recipe made vegan! Tastes unreal! Juicy meaty and easy to make seitan! Serve with potatoes and cabbage, sliced deli meat for reuben sandwich or corned beef hash! Perfect St Patrick’s day meal. Not gluten free.
Ok today were making seitan! My homemade meatless planet based corned beef to be exact! Adapted from my vegan ham recipe, which is the best!👍
One of my favourites growing up was corn beef brisket with veggies! That my mom made every year for St Paddy’s Day.
Left overs the next day were just as good! corned beef hash, reuben sandwiches, etc… and no we never bought canned corn beef- ewww!
This seitan corned beef was a labour of love and it turned out incredible! Enjoy!! The flavour and texture will you blow you away! Ok let's get to it!
What is vegan corned beef?
- My vegan corned beef recipe is made with tofu, vital wheat gluten, pickling spices and more…You’ll love it! Super flavourful and goes with so many dishes: potatoes and cabbage, corned beef hash,.. etc and you’ll never have to miss a reuben again!!
What is seitan?
- Seitan is a vegan meat substitute made using vital wheat gluten. It is sometimes referred to as “wheat meat”
What is vital wheat gluten?
- Vital Wheat Gluten is made from wheat. It is made by washing the wheat flour with water until all the starch has been removed. And you are then left with the gluten which must be cooked before eaten.
How to make vegan corned beef:
- Preheat oven to 375° To make seitan: Drain tofu wrap in paper bowl squeeze out extra moisture with your hands. Break into chunks and add to food processor with rest of ingredients EXCEPT GLUTEN and process until smooth like a puree.
- Now add vital wheat gluten evenly over the top and mix until just combined, it’s ok if you see a bit of flour on top.
- Turn dough onto counter and knead 20-25 times and form into loaf shape. Set aside while making brine.
- To make brine: add all ingredients EXCEPT FLOUR AND BUTTER to a 8x11 casserole dish with high sides or similar size. Not smaller though as the seitan will double in size. Cover tightly with tin foil. (if wanting to add vegetables see Notes* section)
- Bake for 1 and 1/2 hours carefully flipping half way through.
- Spice rub: While corned beef is cooking mix ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place brisket on cutting board (strain and reserve brine, wipe out casserole dish) When cool enough to handle, 10-15 minutes or so, rub the spice mix over the top and sides of corned beef and place back in same dish. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Gravy (optional if you have enough liquid left over): add enough water to brine to make 1 cup. In a small sauce pot melt butter stir in flour. Slowly whisk in brine and simmer on medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add salt pepper and or a tiny dollop of mustard to season if necessary.
- Once brisket is done let rest for 10-15 minutes to firm up. Slice and serve with boiled potatoes, carrots and cabbage and drizzle of warm brine (or gravy), or let cool, cover refrigerate for couple hours or overnight, and reheat next day or slice for deli meat sandwiches (the texture will be firmer) Enjoy! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below
What to serve with corned beef?
- boiled potatoes and cabbage
- Instant pot mashed potatoes
- vegan scalloped potatoes
- roasted veggies
- Irish soda bread
- no knead artisan bread
- vegan yogurt or sour cream
- potato salad
- vegan coleslaw
- green salad
- green peas
- make a reuben!
Can it be frozen?
- Yes it will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days and freezes great, I like to portion and slice it first then wrap in plastic wrap add to a container and freeze.
Can it be made gluten free?
- No this recipe can only be made with vital wheat gluten there are no substitutions. So it is not gluten free. if you're looking for gluten free main dish try my Vegan meatballs made with impossible burger!
Ok let's make corned beef seitan! It's:
- a traditional St Paddy's Day meal
- perfect chewy texture
- fun & easy to make
- kid friendly
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
More seitan recipes to enjoy:
- Vegan Ham Recipe
- Vegan 'Chicken' Salad - Quick & Easy
- Vegan Burger (Best Grillable Vegan Burger Ever!)
- Vegan Steak
- Vegan Turkey Recipe
- Vegetarian Salsbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy