Treat yourself to a bowl of Vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup. Comforting and creamy, this curry-seasoned soup is the perfect warming winter meal.
Roasted butternut squash soup from scratch
When winter feels like it’s never going to end, cheer yourself up with a bowl of this warm and nourishing Vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup. It’s an easy soup loaded with roasted winter squash, savory aromatics, and coconut milk. Curry powder and garam masala are the secret weapons, enhancing every warm and comforting spoonful.
The best part? There’s no peeling or heavy-duty chopping involved. I’ll show you how to roast butternut squash quickly and without putting stress on your wrists - just like the pros!
Afterward, the roasted squash is blended with the rest of the ingredients, leaving you with a low-effort and divinely flavored vegan butternut squash soup. It’s perfect for the holidays or to enjoy throughout the cold weather season.
Is butternut squash soup healthy?
While the soup might feel rich and creamy, it’s actually quite light and loaded with nutrients thanks to the mostly wholesome ingredients. Even the not-so-wholesome ingredients can be swapped for healthier alternatives (use applesauce instead of brown sugar for example).
- Butternut squash - You’ll need one large squash to make the soup. Butternut squash soup will always taste best when it’s roasted beforehand because the heat deepens the natural nutty and sweet flavors. I’ll show you how to easily roast squash without having to peel or chop it!
- Olive oil - You can leave this out if you’d prefer to make an oil free butternut squash soup.
- Carrots - For added texture and sweetness.
- Apples - I like using Granny Smith apples for their tart sweetness.
- Fresh ginger - Or substitute 1 teaspoon of ground ginger for the fresh ginger.
- Broth - I recommend using vegan chicken broth (water + 1.5 tablespoons no ‘chicken’ bouillon paste) here for its savory, herbaceous flavors. Otherwise, a good quality vegetable broth works just as well.
- Coconut milk - Use full fat canned coconut milk. It gives the soup its delectably rich and velvety smooth texture! You could try using soy milk or cashew cream as a replacement, but the result may not be as rich.
- Curry powder - Yellow curry powder pairs very well with the already sweet squash and adds a subtle heat as well.
- Garam masala - This is an aromatic Indian spice blend made up of cinnamon, cumin, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, salt, and pepper. It’s very warm and comforting, which is perfect for this cozy squash soup, as well as Vegan Butter Chicken and Tofu Tikka Masala.
- Brown sugar - Applesauce is a perfect substitute if you’d prefer to make this without granulated sugar. Maple syrup works too.
- Diced green chilies - Optional, but brings a kick of spice!
- Cilantro - Garnishing the soup with fresh cilantro captures the essence of a yellow curry while still highlighting the comforting flavors of a classic butternut soup.
- Lime juice
How to make vegan butternut squash soup
Step 1: Roast the squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Season the flesh with a little salt and pepper, then place each half cut side down on a lined baking sheet. Roast until they’re soft and fork tender.
Step 2: Saute the aromatics. Heat some oil in a large soup pot. Once hot, add the onions and carrots and cook until they’re soft. Stir in the garlic and ginger next and saute until fragrant.
Step 3: Heat it up. Scoop the roasted squash away from the skin and place it into the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients next, except for the lime juice and cilantro. Bring it up to a gentle boil before covering the pot with a lid and lowering the heat to a simmer.
Step 4: Blend. Take the soup off of the heat and either blend it in the pot with an immersion blender or transfer it to a large blender. Blend until smooth.
Step 5: Season, then serve. Stir the cilantro and lime juice into the soup in the pot. Season with a little salt and pepper as needed, then thin the texture with the coconut milk or more broth if you don’t want it to be creamy. Ladle the soup into bowls and enjoy! Full ingredients and instructions in printable recipe card below.
Variations and customization ideas
Put your own spin on this soup recipe with add-ins, different herbs and spices, or by making as many substitutions as you want. Use these ideas to get started:
- Add more vegetables: Roasted sweet potatoes would really bulk up the soup.
- Instead of the curry: If curried butternut squash isn’t your cup of tea, omit the curry spice, garam masala, chilis, cilantro, and lime. Season it with 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons of cinnamon, thyme, sage, or a bay leaf instead.
- For extra spice: Add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes.
- Without coconut milk: Make the butternut squash soup without coconut milk and thin it with an extra splash of vegetable broth instead.
- Finish with toppings: Top each bowl of soup with diced and roasted squash, pumpkin seeds, roasted chickpeas, crumbled tofu bacon, or a swirl of coconut milk.
When searching for recipes to serve with butternut squash soup, stick to seasonal flavors and comforting sides. Serve it as an appetizer for the perfect way to begin Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, or enjoy it as a side next to Wild Rice Stuffing and slices of Vegan Turkey.
Just because the holidays have passed doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a bowl of curried squash soup. Make it for simple weeknight dinners or weekly meal prep along with roasted brussels sprouts or stuffed peppers to round out the meal.
Store: Any leftovers can be left to cool completely, then stored in airtight containers in the fridge. They’ll stay fresh for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Butternut squash soup also freezes really well! Keep it in freezer-safe ziplock bags or containers for up to 3 months. Let each serving thaw in the fridge before reheating.
Reheat: Either zap the soup for 1 or 2 minutes in the microwave or reheat in a pot on the stove until warmed through.
Want more comforting vegan soups?
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Doukhobor Borscht
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print