Vegan Zuppa Toscana! Famous Olive Garden Soup Recipe made Vegan! with spicy plant based sausage, kale, potatoes, cashew cream simmered in full flavoured Italian broth. Easy hearty healthy delicious! Vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free.
Wait until you taste this classic hearty Italian soup it’s my homemade vegan copy cat version of Olive Garden Restaurant - Zuppa toscana! And it is seriously amazing!
Full of juicy meaty plant based sausage bites, tender potatoes, healthy kale all cooked together in a rich savoury slightly spicy creamy broth. Packed with flavour!
Good luck just eating one bowl!! Meat eaters won’t even know it’s vegan and dairy free! Not kidding!
And best of all it’s a super easy soup to make, full of protein and totally satisfying!
Perfect comfort food meal for winter months, december, January, etc… says me and my family. We totally loved it!
What does vegan zuppa toscana mean?
- It’s a broad term, translated means “tuscan soup” which originated in Tuscany, Italy. Classic recipe usually contains cannelloni beans, zucchini and kale, potatoes, tomatoes and even more veggies. I’m sharing the popular North American version today.
Vegan zuppa toscana ingredients and substitutions:
- Beyond meat sausage: I use spicy hot Italian which I highly recommend for best results
- Russet potatoes: can use any potatoes but russets lends a perfect creaminess to soup
- Kale: use any type of kale. I usually buy the pre washed and chopped kale in a bag and just discard the stem pieces. Can substitute with spinach or swiss chard if you like.
- Cashew cream: I used cashews, water, vinegar to replace dairy milk and it worked like a charm. For nut free could try using vegan cream cheese or coconut milk (I haven’t tested with these)
- Onions: I typically use yellow onions but any kind will work
- Garlic: gotta have fresh garlic folks!
- Vegetable broth: I use vegetarian better than bouillon no chicken and beef soup base, adds incredible flavour, it’s a must!
- Spices: ground fennel, Italian seasoning (or dried thyme), crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- Nutritional yeast: adds cheesy element
How to make the best vegan zuppa toscana:
- Heat soup pot over medium heat (I use my Dutch Oven), add the oil and sausages. Fry for 4-5 minutes until browned and fully cooked. Break in half with wooden spoon while cooking for smaller bites if you like. Transfer to bowl, set aside.
- To the same pot add onions and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme, fennel, and red pepper flakes. until fragrant 30 seconds or so. Add water, vegetable bouillon, potatoes and nutritional yeast,
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce to a good simmer for 8 minutes or until potatoes are just fork tender.
- Add kale, cover and cook 3-5 minutes longer or until kale is tender.
- Uncover and stir in cashew cream and sausages. Season with salt and pepper.
- For cashew cream: add cashews, water and vinegar to Nutra bullet, blend until smooth (could use high speed blender but I find this easier and less messy)
- Enjoy! Serve with warm crusty no knead artisan bread, or focaccia, mmm yum! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below
You’ll love this zuppa tuscana soup, it’s:
- so GOOD!
- Dare I say better than Olive Garden!!
- Easy to prepare
- Super satisfying
- Gluten free
- dairy free
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Want more vegan soup recipes? Check these out!
- Incredible Roasted Vegan Cauliflower Soup (Easy)
- Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup - Wickedly Good!
- Vegan Lentil Soup (Italian Vegetable)
- Hearty Homemade Vegan Corn Chowder
- Best Vegan Split Pea Soup (Slow cooker option)
- Classic Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Jamaican Vegetable Soup (instant pot)