This General Tso’s Tofu is an easy and incredibly delicious healthier take on the classic spicy sweet Chinese take out dish! One of my favourite tofu recipes. Ready in 30 minutes or less!
You will flip over this general tso’s tofu ! -My vegan version of the traditional Chinese recipe usually made with chicken and deep fried. Wait till you taste it! It is the perfect combination of sweet, savoury, spicy and tangy with crispy tofu bites tossed in a crave worthy sauce. Lip smacking good!
The tofu can be pan fried, baked or made in the air fryer! Using less oil than the usual deep frying method.
This is a favourite recipe of mine and well loved by my family I’ve been making the general tso sauce for years and the tofu marinade was inspired from my chili garlic noodles.
Wondering what General Tso’s chicken is? General Tso's chicken (Chinese: 左宗棠雞, pronounced [tswò]) is a dish of breaded deep-fried chicken tossed in a sweet spicy sauce, popular in North American Chinese restaurants. The dish originated from the Hunan province of China and is named after a well-respected Chinese military leader, General Tso whose name was Zuo Zongtang
- Tofu and marinade: extra firm or firm tofu, sesame oil, white vinegar, lite Tamari (or soy sauce) Chili garlic sauce, maple syrup.
- Fresh garlic: a must!
- Tso sauce: rice vinegar, ketchup, tamari, hoisin, brown sugar, ginger powder, corn starch
- Green onions and sesame seeds: perfect topping for this umami dish
- cooked rice and broccoli: optional
How to make general tso's tofu:
- Slice tofu into 2-3 slabs, lightly press with paper towel. Cut into cubes, add to a bowl. Toss with marinade ingredients (no cornstarch) Set aside
- Prep rest of ingredients: chop green onion and garlic (keep separate) Whisk sauce in small bowl. Set everything aside
- Give tofu another toss in marinade, then drain in colander.
- Add cornstarch and tofu to a large zip lock freezer bag. Seal and shake until all cornstarch is absorbed and no white spots remain.
- Heat large non stick skillet over medium high heat with oil. Add the tofu in an even layer and fry couple minutes on each side until crispy. Remove to a plate.
- In same pan add garlic and 1 teaspoon of oil, fry until fragrant 1 minute or so.
- Pour in the sauce and cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the tofu. Serve immediately with rice and broccoli. Top with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below
How to serve it:
This tso’s tofu is typically enjoyed with white or brown rice, steamed broccoli, and or carrots, red bell peppers. Or stir fry the veggies! And here’s some more recipe ideas to make it a Chinese smorgasbord!!
- Vegan Orange Chicken
- Vegan Fried Rice
- Vegan Egg Roll In A Bowl
- Teriyaki Noodles
- Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
- Vegetable Chow Mein
Yes if making at home it’s easy to make vegan. And if ordering from a restaurant you’ll need to ask as they can sometimes use chicken stock and butter in the sauce
To make it gluten free you’ll need to buy a gluten free hoisin sauce as most hoisin sauce brands contains wheat. So check the label! And if ordering take out you’ll need to ask what ingredients are used.
I’d say general tso’s tofu is healthier than the deep fried chicken version, but it still does contain sugar and oil. Some recipes contain less than others.
Yes of course, microwave works for me! The tofu won’t be crispy but the dish will still be super tasty!
Tips for success:
- If planning ahead let tofu marinade longer for more flavour, up to an hour or overnight for best results
- For more spice add extra chili garlic sauce and or sprinkle in some crushed red pepper flakes
- Let tofu fry undisturbed for a couple of minutes per side to develop a nice crispy crust
- To make general tso’s tofu in the air fryer or oven see note section
- The tofu does not stay crispy for long so serve dish right away but don’t worry it remains super tasty regardless!😊
This recipe is:
- so tasty!
- filled with umami flavour
- sweet salty savoury tangy
- simple to prepare
- wonderful family meal
- classic dish made vegan!
- crave worthy
- easily gluten free
More tofu recipes:
- Vegan Gyros With Grilled Tofu And Tzatziki Sauce
- Tofu Bacon Recipe
- Vegan Quiche Recipe
- Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich
- Vegan Chicken Nuggets
- Vegan Butter Chicken
- Easy Vegan Pad Thai
- Balsamic Marinated Tofu
- Easy Tofu Scramble
- Tex Mex Vegan Taco Meat Recipe
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print