Vegan Cabbage rolls! My vegetarian take on traditional stuffed cabbage recipe made vegan! with impossible meat. Taste just like moms! Perfect easy weeknight comfort food for the whole family. No one will believe it’s meatless!
Ok it’s time for vegan stuffed cabbage rolls!! -YES! -I have been making cabbage rolls for 30+ years. These vegetarian cabbage rolls were adapted from my old school recipe (inspired from My Mother in law❤️)
An absolute breeze to make!! and the wonderful thing -you can freeze left overs for quick and easy meal prep ready in a Jiffy any night of the week!
This recipe is based on the classic Hungarian, ukranian and polish cabbage rolls with tomato sauce (Holubtsi, Golumpki or golabki)- popular in central & eastern European countries. All the recipes vary a bit in regions with ingredients and names, some also contain vegetables and grains
... So if you're looking for vegan cabbage recipes stop right here!! There are no lentils, chickpeas, mushrooms, bulgar needed..
This stuffed vegan cabbage roll recipe is a delicious filling of juicy meatless ground (impossible meat), rice, fried onions, garlic and spices stuffed and rolled in cabbage leaves and baked to perfection in a super flavourful tomato vegetable broth ( tomato sauce is amazing!)
So tasty and simple to make lazy day recipe
Any one who tries these will freak out they're so GOOD!! Yes meat eaters love them too!
For these homemade cabbage rolls I find the best option for vegan ground beef is impossible burger, you can’t even tell the difference! Haven't tested with beyond meat.
-ok read on for ingredient list and how to make stuffed meatless cabbage rolls!…
And don’t worry you won’t miss the can of tomato soup either, vinegar and sugar takes care of that!
- green cabbage: I always use green not savoy
- Impossible meat: perfect sub for real hamburger! Have not tested with beyond meat
- Cooked rice: white or brown rice I much prefer white basmati for this
- fresh garlic
- Canned tomatoes and tomato sauce
- Brown sugar and red wine vinegar: adds perfect sweet and tart flavour to tomato sauce without the need for can of tomato soup!
- Spices: ground fennel, granulated garlic and onion powder, salt snd pepper
How to make vegan cabbage rolls:
- For tomato sauce: mix sauce ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- For ‘Meat’ filling: Fry onions in a skillet over medium heat with the oil and a pinch of salt and pepper for 5-7 minutes until browning and softening. Stir in garlic and cook for a minute. Remove to a plate too cool. In a medium bowl add vegan ground beef, cold cooked rice, onion and garlic mixture, fennel and salt. Mix well. I usually mix by hand. Set aside
- Core and Cook cabbage: with a sharp knife cut around the stem of cabbage about 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches out from the stem and 3 inches or so down. Should resemble a cone when pulled out.
- Fill a large stock pot (12-16 qt) half way with water. Set to boil. When boiling add cabbage. After it’s been boiling for 3 minutes or so start pulling off leaves with tongs, 2 at a time. Once leaves are removed let boil for a couple of minutes then remove to a plate. Repeat process until you have 16-18 leaves.
- To roll assemble and bake: Preheat oven to 325° Spread 1 cup of sauce in casserole dish. Set it close by.
- Lay each cabbage leaf on cutting board. Use a small knife to cut a V-shaped notch to remove the thick part of the cabbage rib.
- Place 1/4 cup of filling in centre of leaf, shape the mixture into a log. Roll up burrito style (step by step photos in above post)
- Place seam side down in casserole dish as you go. Repeat with remaining filling and cabbage leaves. I like the rolls to fit quite snuggly in the dish.
- Cover with remaining tomato sauce. Give dish a little shake to disperse sauce. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 2 hours and 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy! Full recipe ingredients and instructions in recipe card below.
What to serve with cabbage rolls?
- green peas
- pierogies and sauerkraut
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes (Instant Pot)
- dollop of vegan sour cream or yogurt
- Roasted Vegetables
- No-Knead Focaccia or artisan bread warm and buttered to sop up the tomato sauce -mmm
- Green salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
Can you freeze cabbage rolls?
- Portion in containers and freeze for up to 2 months. Make sure they are completely cooked and cooled overnight in fridge before freezing. To reheat from frozen: defrost overnight in fridge and heat in microwave or oven.
- If you’re worried the filling isn’t seasoned correctly. Fry up a little patty to taste test and adjust spices if needed.
- Cut the thick part of the cabbage leaves out. That way cabbage rolls cook evenly with no undercooked cabbage.
- Place seam side down in baking dish and nestle close together so they stay snug when baking.
- Wrap dish tightly with foil so steam stays in.
You'll love this stuffed cabbage recipe, its:
- Gluten free
- super tasty
- simple to prepare
- budget friendly
- Full of protein
- Flavour packed
- Great family meal
- Kid friendly
- Meat eater approved!
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
- The Finest Vegan Lasagna!
- Best Vegan Bolognese Sauce Ever!
- Best Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Best Vegan Baked Ziti Ever!
- Hearty Vegetable Stew (Slow Cooker Option)
- Ultimate Vegan Chili Recipe
- Vegan Hamburger Helper
- Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- Vegan Haluski (Cabbage And Noodles)
- Best Vegan Meatloaf Recipe!