Add some crunchy flavor bombs to your meals with this air fryer tofu recipe! So easy to make in less than 30 minutes, it’s the best way to take your meals from good to great.
Crunchy bites of Crispy Air Fryer Tofu is the best way to take an ordinary salad, rice bowl, or veggie wrap and turn it into something great! Extra firm tofu cubes are marinated in a simple tamari and nutritional yeast marinade, then quickly cooked in the air fryer. It’s all said and done in less than 30 minutes!
This incredibly flavorful air fryer tofu recipe is the best because it’s:
- A practically oil free recipe
- Made with just 4 ingredients
- Naturally gluten free
- No messy dredging required!
- The fried tofu is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside
Air fried tofu ingredients
- Tofu - It has to be extra firm! Soft or medium tofu contains way too much water and won’t become firm or crispy.
- Tamari - Or soy sauce if you don’t need the recipe to be gluten free. For less sodium, use light tamari, reduced soy sauce, or liquid aminos.
- Nutritional yeast - For a rich and savory flavor.
- Cornstarch - If you want the tofu to be its crispiest, you have to toss it in cornstarch first! The cornstarch will stick to the outside and become bubbly and crisp in the heat.
How to make crispy air fryer tofu
Marinating the tofu before cooking it in the air fryer will ensure each piece is extra flavorful as well as crispy. After 4 simple steps, you can use your crispy air fryer tofu in anything you want! Here’s how it’s done:
- Marinate the tofu cubes: Stir the tamari and nutritional yeast together in a small bowl and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add the tofu to a large ziplock bag and pour the marinade inside. Let it marinate for 15 minutes or up to 48 hours.
- Coat in cornstarch: Pour the cornstarch in the bag with the marinade. Shake until the tofu is evenly coated.
- Air fry the tofu: Place the marinated and coated tofu cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket (work in batches if necessary). Spray the tops of the tofu with cooking spray for an extra crisp, then cook until the cubes are golden brown and crispy.
- Season and serve: Season the air fried tofu with salt and pepper and serve with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy! For full ingredients an instructions see printable recipe card below
Tips for success
Ways to use air fryer tofu
Crispy tofu in the air fryer is delicious on its own, but if you want to step it up a notch, toss it in some sauce! Place the fried tofu in a bowl and drizzle peanut sauce, orange sauce, sesame soy ginger sauce, or barbecue sauce on top and toss to combine.
Use these ideas as inspiration when serving the air fryer tofu:
- Eat it on its own with savory tahini sauce, spicy mayo, or ranch dressing on the side for dipping.
- Use it as a topping on buddha bowls.
- Wrap the cubes in a vegan gyro or breakfast burrito.
- Serve it as an appetizer at the party.
- Toss the cubes in barbecue sauce and layer them on a pizza.
- It adds a delightful crunch and protein to salads.
- It’s the perfect addition to stir fries.
Frequently asked questions
Firm tofu can be marinated for up to 48 hours. Just keep the sealed bag with the tofu and marinade in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
Air fry the tofu between 375F° - 380°F to get a crispy outside and tender, juicy inside.
The tofu only needs to air fry for about 15 minutes. Make sure to shake the air fryer basket once or twice so all sides cook evenly.
Yes! The air fryer is a magic tool that allows us to fry food without needing oil. I do recommend spraying the inside of the air fryer basket and the tops of the coated tofu cubes with cooking spray before cooking, but you can always skip this if you’d rather keep the recipe oil free.
This can happen if your tofu has too much moisture inside or you were air frying at too low of a temperature.
If you don’t have an air fryer, place the marinated tofu on a parchment lined baking sheet sprayed with oil, spray tofu with oil and bake in a 400ºF oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Looking for more flavorful recipes?
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print