Fire up the grill! This Vegan Portobello Mushroom Burger recipe is a summer staple that tastes meaty and juicy. Plus, they’re easier to prepare and cook than any other veggie burger!
What’s not to love about a grilled vegan burger? They’re meaty, tender, and packed full of flavor. But when you’re running low on time, turn to this easy Vegan Portobello Mushroom Burger recipe instead.
It’s the quickest alternative to traditional veggie burgers. The burgers are made from only 1 ingredient - mushrooms! And the process is practically hands-off:
- Make the marinade.
- Let the mushrooms soak up the flavor for 15 minutes.
- Grill until they’re meaty and juicy!
How easy is that?
Grilled portobello mushrooms are quite meaty and flavorful all on their own, but a marinade can really make them special. The marinade in this burger recipe comes together in no time using simple, gluten free ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen. Once the mushrooms are done on the grill, you’re left with a burger that has bursts of tangy balsamic, classic steak spices, and umami-forward tamari.
You’re going to love these portobello mushroom burgers! They’re:
- One of the easiest vegan burgers to make, ever.
- Done cooking in less than 15 minutes.
- A breeze to cook on the grill or in the oven.
- Easy to make gluten free (simply swap the regular hamburger buns for gluten free!).
- Simply seasoned thanks to the easy balsamic marinade.
Ingredients you need
- Portobello mushrooms - Of course! Use large or medium-sized mushrooms (choose based on the size of your burger buns).
- Portobello mushroom marinade - The secret to a tasty portobello burger is the marinade. My homemade balsamic marinade uses simple condiments and spices to give each bite classic meaty flavors and a burst of umami. All you need is balsamic vinegar, tamari, olive oil, chili powder, garlic, steak seasoning, and Italian seasoning.
- Burger toppings - There’s plenty to choose from! These burgers are topped with homemade vegan pesto mayonnaise, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, and a handful of other fresh vegetables. Keep scrolling for even more burger topping ideas!
- Hamburger buns - Butter and toast them on the grill to prevent the mushroom juices from making the bread soggy.
How to make portobello mushroom burgers
Grilling portobello mushroom burgers is so easy! Here’s how it’s done:
- Marinate the mushrooms: Place the mushroom caps into a shallow dish. Mix the marinade ingredients together in a separate bowl, then pour it over the mushrooms. Let them marinate while you prepare the burger toppings.
- Grill the mushrooms: Place the mushrooms on a grill over medium heat. Cook on both sides until tender, continuing to brush the reserved marinade on top.
- Assemble the burgers: Place the grilled mushroom caps onto the burger buns, pile the toppings of your choice on top, then enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below.
More burger toppings
Customize your burgers with all kinds of flavor-packed toppings, such as:
- Sliced vegan cheese
- Tofu bacon
- Grilled pineapple
- Spicy mayonnaise
- Vegan burger sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Vegan ricotta cheese
- Leafy greens
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Pickled jalapenos
Frequently asked questions
First, pop out the stems or chop them off with a knife and discard. Gently scrape out the gills on the bottom of the mushrooms (optional, but recommended). Lastly, use a damp paper towel to gently wipe off the top and bottoms of the mushrooms.
Yes! Once the mushrooms are in a shallow baking dish with the marinade, pop them into a 400ºF oven for 15 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes, making sure to brush extra sauce on top
Yes, the cooked mushrooms will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
Enjoy the mushroom burgers with these vegan summer side dishes:
- Vegan Pasta Salad
- Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print