You can always count on this Vegan Breakfast Casserole when you need an easy make-ahead recipe for special mornings. Filled with vegan sausage, veggies, JUST Egg, and cheese, every bite is completely savory, satisfying, and delicious!
This Vegan Breakfast Casserole recipe combines all of your favorite vegan breakfast recipes, like vegan eggs, breakfast sausages, and sauteed veggies into one delicious meal! It’s an easy make-ahead recipe you can serve on special occasions, for holiday breakfasts, or Sunday brunch.
You’ll love this vegan breakfast casserole with hashbrowns because it’s:
- So easy to make ahead of time.
- Filling, savory, and delicious!
- Packed with protein.
- Completely meatless, eggless, dairy free and gluten free.
- Low-maintenance. Just prep the filling, assemble, and bake!
This vegan egg bake is a true crowd-pleaser and a fun alternative to tofu scramble Serve each slice with fruit salad, hot coffee, and freshly baked blueberry muffins for the best start to the day ever!!
Ingredients you need to make a vegan brunch casserole
- Hashbrowns - I used McCain frozen hashbrown potato patties but I'm sure any brand of frozen hashbrowns or tater tots will work. I don't recommend using shredded hash browns because the consistency isn't firm enough.
- JUST Egg - This revolutionary liquid vegan egg looks and tastes just like real eggs. I love using it to make vegan omelettes but when it’s poured over this casserole and baked, the “eggs” firm up and get so fluffy.
- Sausages - Or use chopped vegan bacon, leftover ham, or vegan breakfast sausage.
- Veggies - A mix of onion, red bell pepper, green onions, and green chilies are cooked along with the sausages.
- Seasonings - Italian seasoning and poultry seasoning give the sausage and veggie filling irresistible savory flavors.
- Vegan cheddar cheese - Use any kind of vegan shredded cheese you like.
- Black salt (kala namak) and mustard powder - These optional seasonings give the liquid JUST Egg a stronger eggy flavor. Just whisk the liquid egg in a bowl with the seasonings before pouring it over the casserole.
How to make a vegan breakfast casserole
This breakfast casserole is so easy! In 4 simple steps, you’ll have an incredibly savory and family-friendly meal that’s fit for any occasion:
- Prep the filling: Saute the onions and peppers in a skillet. Lower the heat and add the sausages. Once they’re cooked through and browned on all sides, stir in the green onions, chilies, and seasonings.
- Add the first few layers: Start assembling the casserole by placing a layer of hashbrowns on the bottom of a casserole dish. Scatter a layer of cheese on top and then the sausage and veggie mixture.
- Finish the layers: Pour the bottles of JUST Egg over top of the filling. Scatter the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and dried herbs on top.
- Bake the casserole: Bake the breakfast casserole uncovered in the oven until the middle is firm to the touch. Let it cool for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Tips for success
- Make sure the hashbrowns are thawed before you layer them in the casserole dish.
- Swap the frozen hashbrowns for these tasty breakfast potatoes instead.
- Want to add more vegetables to your breakfast bake? Add broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, sweet potatoes, black beans, or any other veggies you like.
- To make it extra hearty, add a layer of vegan tofu bacon, tempeh bacon, leftover taco meat or vegan steak, or a cheese medley.
- Top each slice of JUST Egg Bake with red chili flakes, hot sauce, or red salsa for a kick or even vegan hollandaise, vegan cheese sauce and or fresh pico! mmm
Frequently asked questions
This breakfast casserole is a staple at family brunches, holidays, or the weekends. Serve it alongside your other favourites, like cream cheese and bagels, fresh fruit, smoothies, banana bread, and, of course, coffee!
To prepare the vegan breakfast casserole ahead of time, cook the veggie meat filling one or two days ahead and thaw the hashbrowns in the fridge.
Alternatively, the hashbrowns, cheese, and filling can be layered in the make-ahead vegan breakfast casserole the night before baking. Cover the baking dish in plastic and keep it in the fridge overnight. Add the JUST Egg, tomatoes, and spices the next day, then bake!
The leftover baked casserole can be wrapped up and stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Looking for more make-ahead vegan breakfast recipes?
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print